Today, thanks to the efforts of STABies Kate, Marwa, Valerie and Chelsea, we delivered more than 600 books to Children’s Hospital. Not even my viral sore throat, a monsoon or some light traffic could keep us from making our deliveries.
The operation started at about 3pm,
when our intrepid crew showed up at the library and started to load the “STAB-Wagon”. We loaded the 600+ books pretty quickly. We were done with that project in just a few minutes, which was a good thing since it started raining about that time. Nina, my librarian colleague from the Broadview Branch of the Seattle Public Library System, showed up and we hit the road.
We encountered some traffic, which was OK since we were running a little early. We made it the Giraffe entrance of Children’s Hospital right at 4pm, but Kira, our contact at Children’s was not outside where we thought she would be. I quickly racked my brain, trying to remember what my instructions were. Nina ran inside to find Kira, but the security guard/parking attendant was getting antsy about us sitting in the parking. Just as he told us to move, Kira showed up. (Disaster averted!)
The STABies quickly unloaded the boxes while I took pictures. Near the end of the unloading process I made an attempt to help, but really it was too late to do anything but say, “Oh, I’ll get it next time.”
Once we got settled and I parked the “STAB-Wagon”, I had a chance to meet Kira as well as Lorrie Ann Grover and Holly Cupala from readergirlz. Though I’m already friends with Lorrie Ann (via MySpace) it was nice to put a name to a face with all of the people involved in the project. For the next 30 minutes we all chatted about a variety of subjects including, but not limited to, the books being given away, whether or not any of the teens had read/liked the books and if any of the teens had used the hospital’s service’s before and
After we were done, we got in the STAB-Wagon and returned to Shoreline. Even though I enticed the STABies with semi-dairy-treats from McDonalds or an Iron Man Slurpee from 7-11, they refused and we just made our way back to Shoreline.
We had a great time participating in Operation Teen Book Drop. I hope that STAB can be involved in more events like this in the future. Hopefully, more STABies can be involved as well. By the way, you can see all the pictures at the STABucket site and at Lorrie Ann Grover's MySpace Page.
The operation started at about 3pm,
The STABies quickly unloaded the boxes while I took pictures. Near the end of the unloading process I made an attempt to help, but really it was too late to do anything but say, “Oh, I’ll get it next time.”
Once we got settled and I parked the “STAB-Wagon”, I had a chance to meet Kira as well as Lorrie Ann Grover and Holly Cupala from readergirlz. Though I’m already friends with Lorrie Ann (via MySpace) it was nice to put a name to a face with all of the people involved in the project. For the next 30 minutes we all chatted about a variety of subjects including, but not limited to, the books being given away, whether or not any of the teens had read/liked the books and if any of the teens had used the hospital’s service’s before and
We had a great time participating in Operation Teen Book Drop. I hope that STAB can be involved in more events like this in the future. Hopefully, more STABies can be involved as well. By the way, you can see all the pictures at the STABucket site and at Lorrie Ann Grover's MySpace Page.
No comments:
Post a Comment